You can live in an inner meditation retreat throughout the day, and at the same time carry on your day-to-day duties and activities.
Well, this can happen after gaining some experience with meditation and developing a certain degree of concentration.
When advanced on the path of meditation, you will be able to meditate anywhere. You won’t have to restrict meditation to certain times of the day or to certain places. You would be able to live most of your time in an inner meditation retreat, without disturbing your daily life and schedule.
Meditation is an inner activity, which means that you can enjoy its benefits, even while staying where you are, in your present circumstances. You carry on your life, tasks and work, and yet, at the same time, stay in a meditative state.
In an actual meditation retreat, you go to certain place, where you meditate for several hours every day. In an inner meditation retreat you may also meditate for long periods every day. You learn to stay in a “meditative mood”, while going on with your daily life, without the need of any special external conditions.
I am not saying that this kind of meditation replaces an actual meditation retreat and that it suits everyone.
In order to meditate while engaging in other activities you need first to be trained in meditation. You need first to practice it daily in a quiet place, and gain some proficiency. Staying in a meditative state of mind in your daily life requires that you possess enough concentration, willpower and self-discipline, because otherwise, your mind will wander away.
How to Live Within an Inner Meditation Retreat
Practice every day your favorite meditation technique, at home or anywhere else, where you are alone and undisturbed.
After gaining experience, it is time to learn to meditate while away from your room or where you usually meditate.
While meditating, away from the usual conditions, you need to dispense with any kind of external requirements, such as music, a special sitting position, special clothing, or meditation techniques that require doing something that might look peculiar and strange to others. It is preferable that you do not draw any undue attention to yourself.
You may enter you inner meditation retreat at various times during the day, when you are not busy with something that requires your attention.
You may do so while sitting, standing, walking. Later, you might be able to do so even while working, reading or talking.
- Calm and clear your mind from thoughts for a few seconds.
- Do not try to think about anything.
- Pay attention to your consciousness – awareness – sense of being alive. If you have been meditating for some time, you know what I mean. Just focus on this feeling – consciousness – awareness that manifests automatically when the mind is quiet.
- Disregard any thoughts that try to capture your attention.
- Do not follow your thoughts, but just try to be aware of what is beyond them, the consciousness-awareness referred to above.
After practicing the above steps successfully for a while move to the next step:
- Try to feel and focus on the inner silence, peace and happiness the rise inside you, where your innermost consciousness resides.
It is up to you how many times, and for how long you meditate. It may be not easy at first. It takes time to make this a steady experience. You need to stay calm, focused, and use your willpower, self-discipline, not to allow your mind to wander.
This kind of meditation is an inner activity, an inner meditation retreat, and does not involve the mind or the body. This is why this kind of meditation does not interfere with your other activities. This can eventually, lead to a sort of continuous heightened inner awareness, like an altered state of consciousness, which will become the background of all your waking hours.
One day, you will be able to stay in this peaceful inner silence most of the time, even while thinking. It will become your ordinary state of consciousness. You be will then live constantly, in an inner meditation retreat.
Latest posts by Remez Sasson (see all)
- Thoughts Are Like Waves Rushing to the Shore - December 10, 2015
- What Is Spirituality? – Various Definitions - September 17, 2015
- 5 Reasons Why You Need to Learn How to Quiet Your Mind - May 20, 2015