A regular practice of meditation has a profound effect on the mind and on one’s awareness and consciousness. Regular practice of meditation calms down the restlessness of the mind, and therefore, makes it possible to experience, and become aware something, which is beyond the scope of the mind.
Thoughts are like clouds that hide the sun, or like waves that make it impossible to see the bottom of the lake. When the mind becomes calm and there are no thoughts, you can see things that your thoughts and your constant mental activity hide. You become aware of your real essence, the consciousness that is beyond the mind.
One of the main benefits of a regular practice of meditation is inner peace. In a state of inner peace, when the restlessness of your mind stops, you become aware of a different, vast sort of consciousness. A certain kind of calm, joyous, and powerful consciousness arises in you, which is different from the ordinary, everyday consciousness. This is Spiritual Consciousness.
This state is like an altered state of consciousness. It is not a state of trance, and you do not lose of awareness of the world around you. On the contrary, you become more conscious and more alive. It is an awareness that encompasses both the earthly and spiritual planes.
At first, you will experience it very briefly and sporadically, not necessarily during meditation, but in the midst of your daily activities, in your everyday life. It might suddenly, or gradually, fill your awareness for a brief moment, and then go away.
As you continue with daily meditations, the duration of this altered state of consciousness will gradually get longer. In order to experience this state of awareness more often and for longer periods, and also, to turn it into a constant state of consciousness you need to be able to quiet your mind more deeply, and for longer periods.
This is a state of spiritual consciousness. The main requirement for this spiritual consciousness to manifest is a silent mind, when the restlessness of the mind disappears. This is the way to making this experience permanent.
How can you hasten this process? There are a few things you could do.
- Continue to meditate every day.
- Learn to focus your mind, making it one-pointed.
- Try to become more aware of your thoughts, and how they enter and pass through your mind. If you practice meditation regularly, it won’t be too difficult to do.
- View your thoughts with some dispassion. Learn to be little detached, so that thoughts do not agitate your mind.
- Always try to be focused on what you are doing, not allowing thoughts, feelings and people to distract you and control your attention.
- At different times of the day, for a few minutes, try to become aware of your consciousness, of your awareness, and of the feeling that you exist. Don’t discuss or analyze your awareness, just be conscious of it, without thoughts and without words.
This state, this spiritual consciousness, is a state of light, happiness and joy, but also of inner power, focus, practicality and common sense. It is called by many names, Nirvana, Samadhi, Self Realization, Cosmic consciousness, Higher Self or Spiritual Consciousness. The name is only an outer label. The content is more important, and it is the same under all these labels.
All techniques of meditation, eventually, lead to this state of awareness, to the awakening of the spiritual consciousness.
Peace of Mind in Daily Life
Learn how to quiet the endless chatter of your mind, attain inner peace, and get rid of worries and anxieties.
Tags: awareness, meditation, mind, spiritual consciousness